- After you have received your first retirement benefit payment, Pierce Insurance will mail you an enrollment book that summarizes the supplemental benefits that are available to you.
- Pierce Insurance will also send you an email summarizing your benefits and how to enroll.
- To obtain benefits you must complete the enrollment process within 60 days after you have received your first
retirement benefit payment.
The risk of identity theft is real. There is a new identity fraud victim every 2 seconds. Identity theft protection helps protect against damage to your finances, credit and reputation. Help protect yourself with best-in-class LifeLock identity theft protection.
Protection for out-of-pocket expenses upon a positive diagnosis for heart attack, stroke, cancer, organ transplant and more. Benefits are paid to you.
- Choose: You choose the plan to protect yourself and any family members if diagnosed with a covered critical illness.
- Use: You go to your annual exam, the doctor runs tests, the results come back and you’re diagnosed with a critical illness.
- Claim: Go to: www.ncretiree.com/criticalillness/ to access claim forms. Cash benefits are paid to you.
Protect your hard-earned retirement savings and help pay for out-of-pocket
expenses associated with accidental injuries and physician office visits.
- $50 or $75 physician visit twice per year for any reason per insured, up to 4 times per year for family coverage
- Benefits that correspond with treatment for accidental injuries including hospitalization, emergency treatment, intensive care, fractures, and more
- Cash benefits are paid directly to you, unless assigned
- Benefits are paid in addition to any other insurance including Medicare
Life insurance with money for long term care. Guaranteed premiums and paid-up benefits. Innovative benefit designs offer:
- Long term care
- Terminal illness
- Family coverage
Proper dental care is important. That is why it is so important to have a dental plan that covers preventive, basic and major services. Summary of plan benefits:
- No waiting period
- Diagnostic and Preventive Services and covered at 100% and no deductible
- $25.00 deductible, per member per plan year applies to Basic Restorative and Major Services
Our eyes are really windows to our health. An eye exam can help identify not only eye and vision issues, but systemic disease. Exam, lenses, frame and contact lens coverage included.
- Exam: Once every 12 months
- Exam: Once every 12 months
- Frame: Once every 24 months
- Contact Lenses: Once every 12 months
Benefit recipients including retirees and members receiving a disability retirement and their dependents (up to age 26), in the retirement systems below. As a surviving spouse, you must enroll in the plan through the normal enrollment process.
- Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement Systems (TSERS) members – who worked for State agencies, community colleges, public universities, local K-12 school systems, and some charter schools
- Local Governmental Employees’ Retirement Systems (LGERS) members – who worked for towns, cities, counties, municipal departments (such as fire, law enforcement, rescue and EMS), boards of alcohol control, libraries, authorities (such as housing, airport, and water and sewer), and other separate, local governmental entities
- Consolidated Judicial Retirement System (CJRS) members
- Legislative Retirement System (LRS) members
- Members receiving a long-term disability benefit through the Disability Income Plan of North Carolina (DIPNC)
- Firefighters and Rescue Squad Workers, National Guard or Register of Deeds
No, all programs are offered directly through the North Carolina Retirement Systems.
This depends on the type of coverage you have and who your coverage is with. You should contact your Health Benefit Representative at your worksite to learn about your options.
You may need to continue your current plan(s) through COBRA until your North Carolina Retirement Systems plans are effective. Your Health Benefit Representative can advise you on your options.
3 easy ways to enroll in identity theft protection, critical illness, accident, dental and vision benefits.
3 Easy Ways to Pay Your Premium:
- Pension deduction
- Bank draft
NOTE: Firefighters and Rescue Squad Workers, National Guard or Register of Deeds Pension Funds’ benefit recipients qualify for direct bill only.
There are two ways to update your mailing address:
- Send a written request to change your address to the North Carolina Retirement Systems. The address is:
North Carolina Department of State Treasurer
ATTN: North Carolina Retirement Systems
3200 Atlantic Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27604
- Update your address through ORBIT
Members must notify Pierce Insurance by mail , email (email@example.com) or fax advising which dependents no
Pierce Insurance Agency
PO Box 727
Farmville, NC 27828
It depends on your coverage. Call Pierce Insurance to discuss your options: 855-627-3847.
The following events may affect supplemental insurance and/or State Health Plan eligibility, but, except for death, typically do not affect monthly retirement benefits or the $10,000 Contributory Death Benefit coverage:
- You change your legal marital status, which includes marriage, death of spouse, divorce, legal separation, or annulment.
- Your dependents change due to birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or death of the dependent.
- You, your spouse, or your dependents terminate or commence employment.
- You, your spouse, or your dependents reduce or increase their hours of employment.
- Your dependents cease or commence to satisfy the requirements for coverage due to attainment of age or
attainment or loss of their own employer-sponsored health care coverage.
- You, your spouse, or your dependents commence or return from an unpaid leave of absence such as family
and medical leave or military leave.
- You receive a court order to provide coverage for your children.